Department of Nutrition
Engle-Stone, an assistant professor in the Department of Nutrition, specializes in global public health nutrition. She completed her Ph.D. in nutritional biology with an emphasis in international and community nutrition at UC Davis before joining the faculty in 2016.
Micronutrients; community and global nutrition; maternal and child nutrition; planning, monitoring, and evaluating food-fortification programs; cost-effectiveness and coherence among micronutrient intervention programs; nutritional assessment
People need adequate nutrition to enjoy healthy lives and achieve their full developmental and economic potential. Good nutrition is especially important at key stages of life, such as during pregnancy and in early childhood.
I work to understand the causes and consequences of different forms of malnutrition across the globe, and to improve the design and evaluation of nutrition intervention programs. In particular, I focus on micronutrient nutrition among women and young children in low-income settings, and evaluate strategies such as large-scale food fortification to address deficiencies in specific vitamins and minerals. My research combines nutritional biology with epidemiological and statistical methods. I collaborate with organizations involved in nutrition-program implementation and policymaking to enable effective translation of research findings into practice.
- Monitoring and evaluating large-scale fortification of cooking oil, wheat flour, and bouillon cubes in Cameroon
- Understanding the role of genetic hemoglobin disorders in assessing anemia and micronutrient status among preschool children
- Using statistical modeling of dietary intake data to guide micronutrient-program planning
- Collaborating with economists to develop and apply a “bio-economic” optimization model to enhance the cost-effectiveness of micronutrient intervention programs
- Assessing the risks of excessive vitamin A intake and status from multiple, overlapping vitamin A intervention programs among young children
Updated October 2016