Junior Specialist-Pistachio Production
Mar 17, 2016 08:15 AM
Apr 30, 2016 08:15 AM
This Jr. Specialist position is responsible for assisting with the pistachio production. Tasks include independently maintaining and downloading data loggers, collecting samples, weighing, measuring, photographing and drying fruit samples, entering and statistically analyzing and filing data from 6 locations in the San Joaquin Valley. The Jr Specialist will also be assisting with harvesting trials and be responsible for producing a first draft of a translation of The Pistachio Production Manual into Farsi.
- Must have Bachelor's degree
- Have hands on production experience with pistachios including the ability to recognize the different growth stages of the tree and fruit and ability to visually distinguish fruit and foliage damage from nutritional deficiencies or excesses, insects, diseases and stress.
- Ability to operate digital data loggers, scales, calipers, penetrometers and cameras for direct computer input
- The ability to search academic journal databases and the ability to interpret publish scientific research
- Available to travel overnight weekly for 1-3 days at a time
- Ability to lift over 40 pounds
- Possess a valid California driver’s license
- Previous lab work experience is required.
- Proficiency with MS Word, PPt, Excel and multiple statistical programs required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required.
Term of Appointment: Full time for 1 year. The position may be extended for up to 2 years.
UC Davis is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer and is dedicated to recruiting a diverse faculty community. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply, including women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.