Request to Extend Short-Term Emergency Hire/Contract Employee
Short-Term Emergency Hire:
- The purpose of an emergency/short-term Limited Appointment is to temporarily fill a position when a department has an emergency or short-term need that cannot be immediately filled through an open recruitment process or through Temporary Employment Services (TES).
- An emergency/short-term appointment is a Limited Appointment of 865 hours or less in a 12-month maximum period unless the position meets certain provisions under a collective bargaining contract. Note: Initial requests can be established/approved in 4 month increments up to 865 hours; requests for extensions will be reviewed based on the hours available within the 865 cap.
- Note: Extension requires consultation and approval by your department’s Employment Consultant/Recruiter in HR prior to finalizing extension with the employee and entering the extended date into PPS.
- A Contract appointment is an appointment established at a fixed or variable percentage of time for a definite period. Terms and conditions of the employment are specified in a written agreement.
- Generally, contracts are granted for up to two years and cannot be extended for more than another year.
Please complete the information below for either type of request. Department HR representatives will forward your request to central HR if the criteria is met.