Award of Distinction Nominations
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CA&ES) at UC Davis is internationally renowned for its teaching, research, and outreach. This is due, in part, to the collective effort of alumni, friends, faculty, staff, and students. At the annual College Celebration, individuals are honored whose contributions and achievements have positively impacted our communities, advanced science and education, or enhanced the college’s ability to serve California and the world. College Celebration 2016, our 28th annual recognition ceremony, will be held on Friday, October 14, 2016, at the UC Davis ARC Pavilion.
Awards of Distinction recognize individuals for excellence in leadership, achievement, support, and/or meritorious service to the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, or for bringing distinction to the college through their careers. There are five categories for the Award of Distinction.
- Alumni are recognized for excellence in leadership, achievement, support, and/or meritorious service to the college, or for bringing distinction to the college through their careers.
- Young alumni include our college graduates, with less than 15 years from their last degree, who are worthy of recognition for their leadership, achievement, support, and/or meritorious service to the college, or for bringing distinction to the college through their careers. While all alumni are expected to be successful, award winners impact society in extraordinary ways, particularly for individuals who have so recently completed their education.
- Friends of the college are recognized for their leadership, achievement, support, and/or meritorious service to the college, or for bringing distinction to the college through their careers. Friends of the college may be nominated as a group.
- One faculty member is recognized for having distinguished herself or himself by meritorious service to the college in areas of teaching, research, leadership, achievement, mentoring, and outreach. The award recognizes one exceptionally accomplished faculty member and highlights the contributions he or she is making, or has made, to the college. The faculty member must:
- be recognized nationally or internationally for his or her achievements,
- have achieved a record judged by peers to be superior, and
- have brought distinction to the college as a result of her or his activities. Eligible titles: professor, specialist in Cooperative Extension, “_____” in the Agricultural Experiment Station, senior lecturer (SOE), and adjunct professor. Emeriti are eligible.
- One staff member or academic appointee is recognized for having distinguished herself or himself in the areas of leadership, achievement, outreach, and/or meritorious service to the college. The award recognizes one person for extraordinary contributions to the college, which may include but is not limited to improving or enhancing the quality of worklife in ways that make a substantial difference for the college; exceptional creativity and innovation; or outstanding results in areas of outreach, leadership, and service. The award recipient will be a college member who has brought distinction to the college as a result of:
- an exemplary record of sustained and acknowledged contribution to the quality of the college,
- a dedication to the fulfillment of the college’s goals and mission,
- professional accomplishments, and
- college service. Personnel titles including academic administrator, academic coordinator, project scientist, specialist, or professional researcher are eligible in this category.
Note: These awards are highly competitive. Please make every effort to keep the nomination confidential from your nominee.
For help completing your nomination or for a hard-copy form, contact Carrie Cloud at (530) 204-7500 or [email protected].
Nominator’s Submission Checklist
Complete the Award of Distinction nomination form. Deadline: March 18, 2016
- In a separate attachment, describe the nominee’s excellence in leadership, achievement, support, and/or meritorious service that benefits or brings distinction to the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, specifically addressing your nominee’s unique qualifications.
- At least one letter of support to second the nomination is required.
- No more than five support letters will be reviewed.
Please ensure the letters:
- Identify the nature of the relationship the author has with the nominee.
- Provide a comprehensive view of the nominee’s contributions. A variety of perspectives can be helpful.
- Describe how the nominee has gone over and above what was required to achieve his or her current success.
- Attach the nominee’s resume or curriculum vitae (CV), if available. (If you must break confidentiality to gain this document, please submit without the resume or CV).
For more information, please contact Carrie Cloud at (530) 204-7500 or [email protected].
Deadline: March 18, 2016